Cardio is one of the most important elements of managing back pain
For three main reasons:
- Circulation: by getting your blood flowing, oxygen and nutrients move to cells throughout the body that are in need of support as they attempt to repair and rebuild. Stagnation prevents this circulation from reaching so extensively; even 10 minutes of walking is enough to get your blood flowing more effectively.
- Endorphins: nature’s pain killers are yours for the free price of a 30 minute cardio exercise. A vigorous 30 minutes should see a release of endorphins into the blood stream that helps you perceive less pain.
- Managing body weight: your spine is supporting the weight of your upper body, which means that every pound over your target weight is contributing to spinal degeneration.
But not all cardio is good for back pain sufferers- anything that causes repetitive trauma to the spinal joints is counterproductive. If you are in love with the benefits of running, but it causes you too much pain, read on for some alternative cardio workouts that are less traumatic to your spine.
Alternative cardio workouts for your spine
- Stationary cycling: easier on your spinal joints while mimicking the varying intensity of running exercises.
- Indoor rowing: reduces stress on the spinal joints and delivers a cardio effect similar to that of running.
- Aquatic sports: suspends the downward compressive force of gravity, immediately alleviating stress on your joints. Water also provides a natural resistance that helps build muscle in every one of your movements.
- Body-weight exercise: reap the benefits of cardio while building muscle using your own body weight.
If you suffer from back pain, it behooves you to tailor your exercise to your condition. The benefits of cardio can be had from numerous sources that don’t contribute further to spinal degeneration.
Your holistic health resource in Sacramento
Choosing a lower-impact cardio exercise is a perfect example of making slight changes to drastically improve your spinal health. If you want to learn more about our natural modalities for healing pain and keeping you upright and moving freely, give our office in Sacramento a call to schedule an appointment today.