Spinal health through nutrition is not a far-fetched idea
In fact, it is a very sound idea that too many of us ignore! Diet forms part one of the triad of factors that help you manage your own spinal health, along with exercise and sleep, (posture coming in a close fourth). You can choose ingredients that fortify your spine, as well as ones that directly address and reduce back pain. Fortunately, dieting for your spine overlaps with healthy dieting in general, with a few specifications. If you are looking for some inspiration to improve your spinal health this new year, check out our guide below for some sound advice.
Nutrition for spinal health: keeping it simple
Ingredients to keep in mind include:
- Vitamin C: to help your body synthesize collagen, the protein that forms the basis of cartilage in spinal joints.
- Vitamin A: contributes to healthier spinal joints by aiding in healthy cartilage development
- Omega-3 fatty acids: well-known for their inflammation fighting capacities, omega-3s ease discomfort associated with joint pain
- Calcium and magnesium and vitamin D3 synergize to strengthen the vertebrae
- Protein: as always, protein plays a crucial role in the health and repair of soft tissues and bones throughout the body.
- Vitamin B12: contributes to healthier, stronger bones.
Stop ignoring your back pain; use diet to heal it instead
2018 is the year that you harness the power of diet to account for the state of your spine. If you need help formulating a goal-oriented dieting plan to improve your spinal health, give our office in Sacramento a call to schedule an appointment today.