The child’s pose is a yoga stretch that provides a plethora of benefits to people suffering from chronic low back pain.
- Promotes circulation
- Calms the mind and body
- Stretches hips and thighs
- Lengthens and stretches the spine
- Relieves neck and back pain
- Releases tension that is contained within shoulders, back and chest.
Yoga is synonymous with purposeful movement. This is a resting pose that focuses heavily on breathing control. Child’s pose can be done from the comfort of your own living room and is performed thus:
- Kneel with knees together and buttocks touching feet.
- Exhale and lower your torso over the thighs, with your forehead touching the ground.
- Lift the buttocks slightly and stretch your arms over your head, with palms touching the floor, until you feel the shoulder blades stretching across the back.
You can rest in this position for 1-3 minutes, or however long it takes for you to feel the spine stretching, relieving tension from tight areas. Child’s pose is an easy way to take a quick break from the couch and give your spine an invigorating stretch, without too much physical exertion. At Espinosa Family Chiropractic, we want to get people moving. Finding ways to break the monotony of a sedentary lifestyle is truly important for those who want to elongate the lifespan of their spines. Call our office in Sacramento at (916) 457-8825 to create a plan for a healthy back care lifestyle that will get you feeling fit.
Dr. Raymond Espinosa, D.C.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.